Country cooking elicits visions of straight-from-the-garden veggies and farm-new meats and dairy. For all those in the United States, nation cooking and Southern cooking might be believed of as interchangeable, as so several homespun meals are manufactured that much more delightful with some southern influence.
Buttermilk-infused recipes are component of any state cook’s repertoire, as are crispy, fried foodstuff. That is the pairing in this delectable facet dish or appetizer for Buttermilk-Battered Okra Fries with Comeback Sauce from “Southern Appetizers: 60 Delectables for Gracious Get-Togethers,” (Chronicle Textbooks) by Denise Gee.
Buttermilk-Battered Okra Fries with Comeback Sauce
Serves 6 (about 6 fries each will make 2 cups sauce)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup further-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons finely grated sweet or white onion or 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sizzling or smoked paprika
- Salt (optional)
- Canola or corn oil for frying
- 8 ounces modest to medium okra pods, stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 1 cup buttermilk (or more than enough to address okra)
- 1 cup all-intent flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
To make the sauce: In a meals processor, puree the mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, olive oil, garlic, onion, Worcestershire, lemon juice, mustard, black pepper, hot sauce, and paprika. (Or use a medium bowl and whisk to incorporate all the substances.) Period with salt, if necessary, include tightly, and enable the sauce sit overnight in the fridge ahead of serving.
To make the okra: Location a number of levels of paper towels atop a paper bag or platter. Keep it shut to where by you are going to be frying.
In an electrical fryer, Dutch oven, or weighty forged-iron skillet, incorporate canola oil to a depth of 2 to 4 inches. Warmth to 350 levels. (If you are not using an electrical fryer, use a fry/candy thermometer to be certain the temperature stays constant.)
In a medium bowl, soak the sliced okra in the buttermilk and set apart.
In a significant paper bag or massive plastic zip-leading bag, mix the flour, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne (if using).
Drain the buttermilk-soaked okra and dredge it in the flour combination. Meticulously shake off any extra flour. Fry in batches of seven or eight pieces for 2 to 3 minutes or right until crispy and gentle golden brown, turning them carefully midway by means of.
Use a fry basket or slotted spoon to remove the okra to drain on the paper towels. Although nonetheless very hot, period the okra with further salt, if wished-for.
Serve the okra fries instantly with the sauce.