ROME — Italy on Wednesday pressed the United Nations for responses about the assault on a U.N. foods assist convoy in Congo that left a youthful ambassador and his paramilitary law enforcement bodyguard useless.
Overseas Minister Luigi Di Maio informed lawmakers in Rome that Italy has requested both of those the U.N. and the U.N. Environment Foods Plan to open up an investigation into the safety arrangements for convoy, which was attacked two times before.
The minister mentioned Italy also will spare no effort and hard work to figure out the truth guiding the killing of Ambassador Luca Attanasio and Carabiniere paramilitary officer Vittorio Iacovacci. A WFP Congolese driver, Moustapha Milambo, was also killed in the assault.
“We have formally asked the WFP and the U.N. to open an inquest that clarifies what occurred, the motivations for the protection arrangements utilized and who was liable for these decisions,” Di Maio claimed.
The journey was undertaken at the U.N.’s invitation, in accordance to Di Maio.
The two Italians experienced “entrusted on their own to the protocol of the United Nations,” which flew them on a U.N. airplane from Kinshasha to Goma, 2,500 kilometers (1,500 miles) away, Di Maio said.
The Italian embassy in Kinshasha, Di Maio famous, has two armored autos at the ambassador’s disposal for relocating all-around the city and the region. But for Monday’s mission, to stop by a WFP college food stuff job in Rutshuri in jap Congo, Attanasio was touring in U.N. automobiles.
Only hours earlier, Di Maio, flanked by Premier Mario Draghi, satisfied the arrival of the bodies of the two Italians at a Rome army airport. Autopsies are scheduled for Wednesday and a state funeral for equally guys was set for Thursday in Rome.
A unique workforce of Carabinieri investigators, dispatched by Rome prosecutors, arrived Tuesday in Congo on what Di Maio claimed would very likely be numerous missions to ascertain what transpired.
Attanasio, 43, who leaves a widow concerned in volunteer initiatives in Congo and a few youthful youngsters, “was in like with his occupation, with Africa and his family,” Di Maio mentioned. He mentioned that the Carabiniere was nearing the conclusion of his stability depth in Congo and was soon owing back in Rome.
“For this reason, I promptly questioned WFP in Rome and the United Nations, involving directing the Secretary Standard (Antonio) Guterres, to offer a thorough report on the attack on the convoy,” Di Maio reported.
WFP has explained the highway experienced been previously cleared for travel with no protection escorts. U.N. safety officials dependent in Congo ordinarily identify highway basic safety. On Tuesday, U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric claimed in New York that the U.N. had launched an inside overview relating to the “security close to the incident.”
Di Maio explained the attackers numbered six, had light-weight arms and apparently distribute obstacles on the street and fired pictures in the air to stop the convoy.
“The sounds of the shooting alerted soldiers of the Congolese Armed Forces and the rangers of Virunga park, considerably less than a kilometer (50 percent-mile) away, headed to the location of the incident.”
Di Maio quoted the nearby governor as expressing that to power the victims to go into the bush, they killed the WFP driver. When the ranger patrol arrived, Di Maio explained, citing the Congolese interior minister’s account, the attackers “fired upon the Carabiniere, killing him, and at the ambassador, gravely wounding him.″ Attanasio died of his wounds shortly afterward.
Italy will strengthen its commitments to assist Africa, Di Maio explained, contacting that the “best way to honor the memory″ of the two slain Italians.
“A plan that puts Africa at the heart of Italian diplomatic, European and global interest, this is the motivation Luca thought in and in which we consider in,” the foreign minister said.